Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Clip Clop go the girls

The main town of Salzburg
Old town, with horses
Shopping in old town

Tuesday morning... after our coffee, we walked to the train station. We bot tickets for our Friday trip to Munich (our departure point) and tickets for a day trip tomorrow to Hallstatt, in the mountain lake region. We came back to the hotel, called and booked a Thursday day trip to the Eagle's Nest, Hitler's old hangout... speaking of zeig heil, the women here all seem wear blue jeans (tight) tucked into knee high black boots, with 2-3 inch heels. Wherever that walk, it sounds like a squad of SS storm troopers, jackbooting down the cobblestone streets. Kinda of sounds weird. Horse drawn carts, which you see in old town, offer the same sound... only you get the added smell of fresh horseshit. Ahh..... nothing like fresh shit in the morning to make your day.
The brats decided to rent bicycles (available at the hotel for 6E). I opted to walk. I realized that just about my most favorite thing to do in Europe is to walk down streets, window shop, people watch, look at the architecture and the colors, smell, listen, feel... I relish the fact that no one knows me and I know no one. So imagine my surprise when I wandered into old town, into the Bach festival, and hear..."Phil"......"Chvatal".... jesus, who knows me here??? I turned around to see my sister. She and Dave were doing the same thing I was doing... looking for some lunch. We grabbed a beer and a brat... now, let me tell you... they got some killer brats here. You can order them like a hot dog, but only touristas do that. They serve the weiner on one plate, with mustard. On the other plate, a large Kaiser roll. You eat the weiner with one hand, and the bread with the other hand. Damn good.
So I wandered through old town and slowly made my way back to the hotel. Weather is very comfortable... feels about 60... a dash of rain, with the sun trying to peek through the clouds. You would love this town... it feels a lot like Portland, only richer. The men and women are a mixed bag... just like our town, only thinner and taller. No muffin tops here. The people are good looking, in a healthy way. Not strikingly beautiful like the Italians or posh, like the French, but just wholesome. Most speak some sort of English, so no problem getting around. Now, if they would just give up the butts in public, this place would be a lot more tolerable. Ciao


No comments: