Wednesday, May 24, 2017

A walk to lunch

Yes, I have been hyping this England walking idea.  So today I made the 1 mile trek to Hartfield.  The first 1/3 mile was down my lane, past the landlord's house.

My lane to the road... about 1/3 mile

My landlord's place... not too shabby

Now it gets interesting.  This is the second 1/3 of the mile.  Do you notice any sidewalks?  That's a negative.  So I walked in the road.  When a car came, I moved to the weeds and just stood there, waiting for the car to pass.  Freaky.  But the worst was the semi (called lorries, here) that passed me going 45 mph.  It will be a quick death, i thought to myself.  This is my biggest bitch about driving here.  The roads are WAY too narrow, there is NO shoulder and everyone wants to drive 50-60 mph (which is the posted speed). I go 40. Even that feels too fast.  Where do people park?  Glad you asked.  They park in the FU$*^%(#NG road.  Yeah, they just pull the the curb and park, essentially making your road a one lane road. After a 10 mile jaunt, you NEED a drink.

No comments: