Monday, May 8, 2017

SIM cards

You can take your cell phone overseas and pay thru the nose to operate it.  TMobile offers some interesting deals.  Verizon has a $10 a day plan. AT&T has a similar plan.  Sis Rosanne and I opted to ditch Verizon and get a local SIM card.  Our driver recommended "EE".  So, while in Bath, we went to the EE store and got one.  It cost $30 for one month of unlimited talk and text, plus 8 GB of data, which they upgraded to 18 GB for free.  That's the good news.
The bad news... cell service is spotty, especially here in the Moors.  Sometimes you can get 3G service, which is like a 1200 baud modem.  Sometimes 4G works.  Wi-fi in the hotel is iffy.  It's kind of like a person who has "summer teeth"... some are here, some aren't.  It feels like 1997.
Of course, you could raise the point... I'm on vacation... why do I want to see what's happening in the land of the orange clown.  I don't, frankly.  But having some connection offers me a great view of what's around me.  There is so much history here... it's nice to know what I'm looking at and what lies ahead.

Anyway, here's the way I like to end a day...


No comments: