Monday, May 22, 2017

Chartwell

When we decided to travel to England, I picked two places as "must sees".  One was Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of Winston Churchill and home of the Duke of Marlborough.  The second was Chartwell, the family home of Winston Churchill.  I was not disappointed.

We were first in line at the house for the 11:00 opening.  Each room has a volunteer, who tells you about the room and its history.  I talked to everyone of these people.  Found out that WC did most of his work standing up.  That he nearly sold the estate on two different occasions because he was broke.  That there were no lavish banquets there, it was strictly a family home.  (An excellent film from 2002 called "The Gathering Storm", starring Albert Finley and Vanessa Redgrave can be found online).  I loved the entire time I spent there.

A few outside photos of the estate.

The house on a stunning day

Winston & Clementine

A view from across the lake

No comments: